Tuesday 12 May 2020

Things I learnt about hornets

Although we don't have many hornets in New Zealand.
They are in Asia and sometimes attack bee hives.
But luckily bees have a defense mechanism to get rid of them.
They let the hornet come into their hive then they tell each other by shaking their abdomen,
that they will then swarm the hornet  in large numbers.
They do not sting the hornet, instead they all vibrate to heat it up until it dies,
because the bees can survive 118 degrees fahrenheit (47.7 degrees Celsius) but the hornets
can only survive 115 degrees fahrenheit (46.1 degrees Celsius).
So the bee hive is safe again.         


3 comments:

  1. Hi Troy, thanks for sharing your work about hornets. I thought the way the bees defended their hive from hornets was very clever.
    Would you be able to change your layout so all your text fits on the blog feed?
    Thanks Troy, Mrs Devlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Troy
    Thanks for sharing what you found out. I hope you found the video interesting? I have reformatted your text so it doesn't go off the side of your blog which is annoying that copy & paste from a Doc does that.
    Miss J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Troy, My name i Sam and i go to St Patrick's i am 11 years. I didn't know bees made a hornet hot to kill them. I really like how you explained all the facts about hornets, but maybe next time you could add some more facts about the hornet, other than that keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you positive, helpful comment on my work.